ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WORKSHOPS
DISTRIBUTION / DECISIONS
THE DIGITAL EXPLOSION / PACKAGING YOUR FILM
These are multi-faceted workshops which focus on four important issues in filmmaking.
- DISTRIBUTION: Son of a Pitch
Probably the most illusive aspect of successful filmmaking is obtaining a distribution deal with a reputable distributor. There are various ways to approach the distribution situation:
1. Enter film festivals: Strengths and limitations
2. Attend “Pitch Fests”: The pros and Cons
3. Attend Conferences: NATPE/Am Film Fest/MIP-MIFED
4. Acquiring an Agent: Size and attention
5. Four Walling: Time consumption vs. control
6. Direct to Video: Amazon.com/Blockbuster/HollywoodVideo Regional rack-job distribution
7. Your Own Web Site: Search Engines etc.
- DECISIONS: Oops There Goes a Million Dollars, Goodbye!
The decision making process is one wrought with potentially dangerous and sometimes fatal mistakes. Good ideas can go bad and destroy your efforts if not well thought out in advance:
1. What format is right: 35mm/16mm/mini-DV/Hi-Def/24P/16:9
2. Investor Relations: What to give / What not to Give away
3. Music and Clearances Can you afford it / Do you need it
4. Digital vs. Dailies Saving Time vs. Saving Money
5. Completion Bonds Dangerous Liaisons
6. Partnering Control or Not Control
7. Delegating Responsibilities Too many Hats: Too few Heads